Thursday, July 21, 2011
it's a very HOT week with temps in the mid-to high 90s here in chicago. i definitely remember 90s being pretty standard growing up but it's been awhile since we've had numerous day in the upper 90s and everyone can't stop talking about it. yes, it's a total oven outside, but we bitched about how cool our spring was and now we have nothing but heat and everyone is still bitching....including myself. mostly because our air conditioning broke last night! very sucky to wake up in 80 degrees when we're supposed to have central a/c. and this afternoon i have to spend an hour on a rooftop talking to new students with the heat index around 105. so i've joined the bitching band wagon. i'm also very concerned about pets and the elderly - this heat can be very dangerous for them! hopefully the serious heat wave will mellow out to like mid 80s and everyone, including myself will stop complaining!
Thursday, July 7, 2011
it's only early july and it's already been one of the most fun summers i can remember! it's been so fabulous because:
* we've had awesome weather! i even love the crazy storms we've been getting and the warm, sunny days and warm, cool nights.
* kicked off the summer with our engagement party and lots of good family time!
* got to enjoy a boar roast for tara's birthday! so random and so delicious!
* fostered the sweetest kitten ever.
* had our beer & cheese housewarming party and it was a blast!
* enjoyed greek cuisine on an awesome rooftop with buds.
* enjoyed a few festivals - the taste, mayfest & old town art fair.
* had the best birthday ever up in michigan with friends, fam & rob!
* i've had a mini break from school which means lots of down time/naps/couch lounging/wedding planning.
* all of my summer work events turned out to be super fun and perfect weather: arlington racetrack, volunteer outing at the zoo, & our fireworks boat cruise.
* had lots of quality time with my man. lots of great date nights like our beer & cheese tasting, seeing super 8, grabbing drinks at our neighborhood pub, getting dinner at the publican & seeing his master catch at his softball game :)
and there is still SO much more summer left! i have so many things to look forward to: quality time with my bff tomorrow, 6 flags this weekend, going away party for my bud, kayaking in the river on tuesday!, ferris buellers day off movie in the park on wednesday, pitchfork festival next weekend, belated bday happy hour after that, then it's off to hunky dory with rob's family for a week!!! seriously - best summer ever!
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
i had one of the best birthdays i can remember all thanks to my wonderful friends, fiance & family! i was able to book a chalet at the "resort" my family went to in the summers while i was growing up. it's right on lake michigan with 2 beaches, a couple of pools and nice decks. first the girls came up on saturday. we made a pit stop at st. julian's for some wine tasting and to add to our stock of wine for the weekend. then we drove up to the chalet, changed immediately and went down to the beach. it was pretty hot so we all got in the water a bit and laid out for hours. later on we grilled and ate on the deck. tara surprised me with a beautiful and delicious cake from my favorite bakery, bit of swiss! i couldn't believe she remembered and went to so much trouble! i opened up more presents -everyone was much too generous, i feel very spoiled! then we took our wine and hit the beach for the sunset. we did a tiny photo shoot and enjoyed the scenery. afterwards we went back and did some late night snacks on the grill and some smores. we played games until late into the night and i was laughing so hard my face hurt. my friends are so fun :) then next morning everyone headed back to chicago and then rob came up that afternoon. we laid out and he swam and then we went to redamaks and oinks for an early dinner & dessert. we came back and enjoyed the most amazing sunset EVER and the great fireworks random guests set off on the beach. it was a great day and night! the next day my family came up. rob stayed to hang out all day before heading back to the city. he and my dad grilled some hot dogs and sausages for lunch and then we spent the rest of the day on the beach soaking up the rays. we came played a game on the deck and then dad grilled hamburgers & potatoes and mom brought up her delicious summer salad that rob loves. i opened more presents and then we went down to enjoy a subpar sunset. there were A LOT of fireworks for the 4th and it was fun to be able to watch from the deck. we played another game and then we hit the hay. a very relaxing day. the next day we went out to breakfast and went to bit of swiss to stock up on goodies before they took me home. i had all day yesterday to catch up on cleaning and organizing the apartment before coming back to work today which was great. i truly couldn't ask for a more special weekend!