Tuesday, September 22, 2009

wmu memories

i really don't think high school juniors/seniors should be allowed to decide where they're going to college. i truly had no idea what i really wanted out of my college experience at that time and ended up making a fairly terrible choice. i THOUGHT i wanted to go to a big state school and get the "real" college experience. i wasn't a huge fan of any of the illinois state schools and about 80% of my graduating class was heading to those schools and i really didn't need a repeat of high school. so i looked to michigan - i was into northern michigan (in the freaking UP) and western michigan. my parents took me to WMU for a visit and i totally fell in love with it. i loved all the trees, the huge campus with art spread throughout it, the huge student center with everything you could ever need...it's exactly what i thought college should be. a few people i knew from high school and one of my very best friends also decided to go to wmu so i was really excited but after a few months i hated it. i didn't have a car so i was kind of trapped on campus, my roommate was pretty cool but her boyfriend came to visit every weekend and took over our room, everyone in my dorm always had their door closed so i didn't get to know anyone and every party we went to got busted. my classes were my saving grace - i started off as an art major. i loved the people in them and i just loved creating ALL THE TIME. but after getting through my first year and giving a second one a shot - i hated it even more by fall. my classes weren't enough to keep me there. it just wasn't the school for me. most of the people there weren't the type of people i wanted to spend time with, i knew i would never get anywhere as far as a career and kalamazoo just isn't that exciting. so i decided to transfer. i was thinking columbia or loyola and then my parents suggested depaul (which is where they originally wanted me to go - go figure) and when i visited the campus i literally felt like i was home. i'm still completely confident that coming to depaul was the right choice for me but every fall i definitely miss western. my heart aches for the feeling i had going to classes on a big college campus with the leaves changing all around me and crisp cool air. now that fall is coming to chicago i started thinking about all the things i loved about wmu that actually made some of my time there pretty special.

taking 8:30am drawing classes my frosh year - i loved break time with my classmates - we'd go to the little cafe in sangren hall and get toasted bagels and cream cheese and chat.

drawing in this outdoor courtyard that was hidden from the rest of campus

my dance classes! i met so many nice people in those classes and enjoyed them so much. i also remember going to a senior performance with my mom that was so special.

the huge theatre on campus - got to see dane cook, pilabolus and stomp there.

the hookah lounge! totally spent a ton of time there freshmen year

my jewelry & metal working professor. one of the most inspirational professors i have ever had.

art exhibitions - there was a big student show every year that was outstanding, i was selected for the small freshmen art exhibit and there was a gallery a bit off campus that students could do shows in and host openings - i went to a ton and absolutely loved them all

the trees and stars!!! oh how i miss the beautiful trees changing colors and crunching under my feet for a nice long fall. fall was so much more outstanding there and the stars were so increcibly clear.

there are so many things about western i miss - the quality of the art classes, the huge campus, having real seasons and just that overall actual college vibe that doesn't really exist at depaul. i know that ultimately i made the right decision coming to depaul and i think i'm pretty lucky that i got to split my college experience into two totally different worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment